Role & Responsibilities
Reports to: Principal
Based in: Norwood, MA
The Chief Estimator (Chief) will lead the estimating function in delivering accurate and timely estimates and budgets to secure profitable work for the Company. This person will develop and foster productive client and vendor relationships. The Chief will find ways to consistently improve company estimating efficiency and accuracy and will maintain our estimating software and database pricing information. This person will be an integral part of the Leadership Team, helping to develop and execute on strategic initiatives and foster a positive team and company culture.
- Lead weekly Estimating Team meetings to review pending bid opportunities and current bid schedule and deliverables.
- Manage estimating processes and timelines to meet company objectives, both short and long term.
- Distribute and supervise bid projects to estimators. Review work of team to ensure accuracy and completeness.
- Oversee final bid preparation for all estimated projects.
- Submit RFIs as needed to architects, engineers, and/or general contractors for clarification on scope of work and drawing details.
- Develop and maintain client and vendor relationships.
- Participate in pre-bid meetings, develop bid strategy, and attend project interviews as needed.
- Partner with Construction Operations Team to properly transfer awarded projects and perform buyouts when necessary.
- Make periodic site visits to active projects to review field installations and ensure estimates are consistent with how projects are built.
- Participate in writing, maintaining, and enforcing all company estimating processes and policies.
- Provide ongoing leadership, direction, and training to estimating team members; conduct regular employee check-ins and year-end reviews.
- Manage and track all responses to bid invitations.
- Manage bid databases and estimating software (i.e. assemblies, pricing, on screen take-off use, etc.)
- Review bid/no bid decisions with Company Principals
- Perform pre-bid review with estimators to determine individual project requirements and characteristics.
- Perform budgets and pre-construction activities as requested.
- Build and maintain a detailed estimate bid history for use with pre-construction and budgeting exercises.
- Review vendor pricing for completeness and timeliness
- Estimate projects/perform take offs
- S./B.A. Degree or equivalent in construction sciences or related field.
- 15-20+ years experience estimating and/or working on commercial, healthcare, institutional and life science electrical construction projects.
- Experience working on large (up to $30MM) and complex jobs with multiple systems.
- Prior leadership experience required; oversee and develop a team – manage performance and productivity.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate effectively– verbal, written and active listening; develop relationships with others.
- Organized with strong time management skills
- Problem resolution skills.
- Prior use of an estimating software system.
- Ability to understand the bigger picture
- Knowledge of Conest preferred.
- Will use: Bluebeam, Egnyte, MS Office (Excel, Word, Outlook, Teams), and Cosential CRM software.
Gaston Electrical is an Equal Opportunity Employer.